Friday, August 19, 2011

Sneaky Thief

Maya has always been a bit of a thief.  I think it's just a dog thing, but since she's my first dog, I could be completely wrong.  I've written about her being a thief before.  If you'd like to reminisce, click here.  She was just a little puppy then, so she's gotten better.

She still loves socks, so I have to be careful about those.  But now, she also likes any piece of clothing that she can get her paws on.  To be more specific, anything that is in my closet.  Now to be fair, it's only the clothes on the floor, but still. 

Maya loves hanging out in my bedroom when I'm getting dressed.  I know it has nothing to do with me; it's just when she can guarantee the closet door will be opened sooner or later.  She'll sneak in there as soon as I'm distracted and take off running with whatever goody she finds.  This past week, as soon as I noticed she was in there, I would quietly close the door behind her, leaving it slightly cracked so I could still look in.  She'd grab something and head to the door, only to find it closed behind her.  Since she knows "drop," I would tell her to drop.  As soon as she did, I opened the door.  The first few times, she immediately grabbed her goody again, so I closed the door again and told her to drop.  She caught on pretty quickly that she would not make it out of the closet with something in her mouth.

I thought we had turned a corner yesterday.  We were playing fetch and her ball accidentally went into the closet (which I had inadvertently left cracked).  She used to just run in there and maybe come out with her ball, maybe come out with a goody.  This time, she stood outside the closet and barked at the door until I went and got the ball for her. 

At first I felt a little bad because I had made her scared of the closet.  But at the same time, I was kind of glad because I didn't have to remember to keep the door closed.  And then about an hour later, Maya ran by with a sock in her mouth.  Apparently she got over her fear of being locked in the closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment