Thursday, August 18, 2011

Chipped

I've been debating for a while now whether or not to have Maya microchipped.  On the one hand, she's a completely indoor dog who never goes anywhere without me, so when would she ever get lost?  On the other hand, someone could always break in, or maintenance could accidentally let her out, or there could be a fire or other disaster and we get separated, or.....  I realized that even if none of these things ever happen (and I hope they don't), there's always the possibility that she could get lost.  And yes, she has a collar and tags, but what if they fall off?

So I called my vet to inquire about pricing.  They charge $89, but they do all the paperwork for you.  This seemed a little steep to me, but since it was my first call, I guess it could be in line with other vets.  I then called the local animal control.  They charge $20, but you have to do the paperwork.  So basically my vet is charging me $69 to fill out a form?  Wow.  My final call went to a vet recommended by a friend.  This is actually where Maya was spayed and where I had been considering making her permanent vet.  They charge $30.  I was amazed at the differences in prices for the exact same product.  A $10 difference seems perfectly reasonable, but charging three times as much?!?! 

Anyways, I made an appointment and Maya got microchipped today.  She doesn't particularly like the vet, so she hid under my chair at first.  She eventually ventured out, and she let the vet play with her and check her out, but she did not like that big needle.  She turned her head so quick when the vet inserted it that I thought she was going to snap at her.  But a second later it was over and we were heading home.

I know that if Maya ever gets lost a microchip won't guarantee her safe return, but it gives her another chance to make it home.  I just think of it as a tag that can't fall off, and that means a little peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment