Saturday, September 3, 2011

Park Scare

For the first time in months, it was cool enough to go for a walk in the morning.  Maya and I joined a few friends and their fur-babies at the local park, where I almost immediately had a mini-stroke or mini-heart attack or mini-something.

The local park has a duck pond that the dogs love.  It's not so much the water that draws their attention, but the ducks.  Pretty much the only thing I don't like about this pond is that it's relatively close to the street, so I always keep Maya on her leash until we're on the other side of it, just in case.

Today, just like almost every other time we've gone to the park, one of the dogs took off running towards the pond.  And just like almost every other time, Maya decided to follow.  She was still on her leash, so I didn't expect her to get very far, but the next thing I know, she's almost at the pond and I still have her leash in my hand.....with her collar hanging off the end.  Yep, the clasp on her collar broke.  And that's where the mini-stroke/heart attack happened.  Luckily, she decided to run after the ducks in the pond and not the squirrels crossing the street.

And needless to say, we were at Petsmart picking up a new collar before the day was over.  I did not like that feeling, and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment