Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pet Insurance

With Maya's recent injury (and the crazy vet bills associated with it), I decided I should probably look into getting some pet insurance.  This is something that I had never considered before.  I barely have insurance; why should I get some for a dog?  Well, now I know.

If you've ever looked into getting insurance for yourself, you know how time-consuming it can be.  Luckily, it's a little easier finding something for a pet.  While it did take a couple of hours, I think I found the right one for us.  I opted for "Accident Only" coverage.  I figure I can take care of her regular appointments and vaccinations, etc; I just need a little help in case another 4-digit bill comes my way. 

One thing I didn't count on was a broken leg being considered a pre-existing condition.  I knew things like diabetes and hip dysplasia would be considered pre-existing conditions, but a broken leg?  So basically, if she breaks any leg in the next 12 months, it won't be covered.  While I'm hoping she never breaks one again, I was also hoping if she did, I'd have some coverage.  Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment