Thursday, December 2, 2010

Yummy, Yummy

So lately Maya has been bringing chunks of mulch into the house.  Since they're mostly sticks, and since she just chewed on them and didn't eat them, I figured it was no big deal.  Then she started throwing up....and she's been eating them.

Not wanting a sick puppy (and not wanting to keep cleaning up puppy puke), I decided to get her some more appropriate chew stuff.  She has toys, but apparently that isn't what she's been in the mood for, so off to PetSmart we went. 

I got her a variety of rawhides.  Yesterday, I gave her one that was wrapped in sweet potato.  I wasn't sure if she was going to like it or not.  When I held it out, she came over and smelled it, then licked it, then snatched it out of my hand and ran to her favorite spot.  She stayed there chewing on it for the next hour, literally.  Then she went and got a drink of water, and went back to the rawhide.


She finally got tired of it after about 3 hours, but there was still a good amount left.  I'm guessing she thought someone might take it away from her, so she proceeded to look for a place to hide it.  First she tried to dig a hole in her bed.  That didn't work.  Then she tried to dig a hole in my tennis bag.  That didn't work either.  Next she tried to dig a hole in the carpet.  Still no luck. 

After trying a few more hiding spots, she finally decided her kennel was the way to go.  First, she took everything out of it.  Then, she dropped the remaining rawhide in the corner.  Finally, just to be sure nobody accidentally found it, she dragged her shirt/blankie back into the kennel and put it on top of the rawhide.  I guess she couldn't take the chance that another dog was going to find it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment