Friday, October 15, 2010

New Trick

I've been teaching Maya a few commands over the past month or so.  She had mastered "sit," "down," "off," and "come."  I was going to teach her "shake," but that's pretty boring, so I taught her "pound it" instead.  After that, "high five" was a piece of cake. 

However, her latest trick she learned all on her own -- she can take off her leash.  What I learned while teaching her those commands was that she is really smart.  What I learned after she got off her leash is that she's a little too smart for her own good. 

The first time she did it, I figured it was an accident.  She likes to grab the leash in her mouth while we're out walking.  This time she grabbed it by the latch.  She was biting it as we walked, and it opened.  She realized she was free before I did and took off running after something (a cat, a leaf, her shadow?).  Luckily we were in the parking garage and no cars were driving around.  The next day, she did it two more times.  I was pretty sure these were not on accident.  As soon as we started walking, she grabbed the latch in her mouth and went to work to get it off.  I figured that the first time was a fluke and she wouldn't be able to get it off again.  I figured wrong.  She got it off twice. 

I went to the pet store that night and got a new leash with a different type of latch.  As long as she doesn't have opposable thumbs, we should be good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment