Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Park Time

I've started taking Maya to the park in the evenings to let her run off a little energy.  I can't take her to the dog park yet, but there's a little park by my brother's place that we go to.  It's grassy and open, and there's little to no traffic, so she can get off her leash and run.

Since I play tennis, I have plenty of old tennis balls around the house that I can give her to play with.  I grabbed one today as we walked out, thinking maybe we can play a little fetch.  I don't know why, but I just always figured dogs naturally knew how to play fetch.  Think about it -- they like to chase things, they like to carry things in their mouths, and they come when called.  Seemed pretty natural to me.

Maya does not know how to play fetch.  She likes to chase things and she comes when called, but it's the whole carrying things in her mouth that seems to be alluding her.  I'll throw the ball, she'll chase it, stop it, then leave it there and run back to me.  And since I have to keep going to get the ball, that was a very short game of fetch.

No comments:

Post a Comment