Sunday, August 22, 2010

First Bath

I didn't expect the puppy to be housebroken when I got her, but I didn't realize that she would use the bathroom in her kennel.  The puppy and her family were kept in a big pen, and they used the corner as a bathroom.  Everything would fall through to a tray below, which would be removed and cleaned.  Very sanitary because they never step in it, but makes the dogs think they can go wherever they sleep, play, etc, and not have to worry about it.

I woke up this morning to a crying puppy.  She peed in her kennel and started crying because she couldn't get away from it.  So I took her out of the kennel and took her outside.  I ran into one of my neighbors who asked me how it was going with the new puppy.  I told her what happened and that I was about to go give the puppy a bath.  Since she has a dog, I asked her if it was ok to use shampoo on the puppy (since I hadn't had a chance to pick up any puppy shampoo).  She said it would probably be ok, but that it would be better if I used puppy shampoo, and that she had some I could borrow.

So I got the puppy back inside and gave her a bath.  I thought she would be scared or cry, but she really did well.  She initially tried to jump out, but calmed down quickly.  I knew she was small, but once she was wet, she looked about half her size.  She is tiny

So she doesn't particularly mind getting a bath, but she hates the hairdryer.  I was going to try to use the hairdryer on her, but the noise scared her, so I didn't.  Since it's pretty warm outside (translation: ridiculously hot for 8:00 am), I decided to take her for a walk instead and let her dry in the sun.  She was completely dry in about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment