Wednesday, December 21, 2011

First Extended Trip

Back in November, I had my first extended trip away from Maya.  I was looking forward to the trip, but not to leaving my puppy.  I tried to prepare her as best I could, telling her all about how she'd be staying with her "auntie" and about all the fun she was going to have and how I would be back before she knew it.  And as we all know, this was for me, not for her.

I dropped her off Friday morning, and eventually said good-bye.  I left her plenty of food, her favorite toys, her bed, and her kennel.  I even left the shirt I slept in the night before, just in case if she was missing me she could go snuggle up with it.  As I was driving away, I seriously considered calling off the trip, but I had committed to running a half-marathon with a friend months ago, and I couldn't leave her stranded at the last minute.  So off I went.

I got text updates every day, and it seemed like Maya was having a good time.  She doesn't eat much when we're not at home, so I was worried about her not eating, but her "auntie" told me she was eating fine.  And I also had no idea if she was going to let everyone sleep.  She's only slept away from me once, and that was only one night when I had to board her, but this was going to be three nights, also known as an eternity.  I warned her "auntie" that she might cry, but she said not worry, that she would just take out her hearing aids and then Maya wouldn't keep her up.  After that first night, I asked her if Maya let her sleep, and she said yes.  She just put Maya in the bed with her (which I never do) and they both slept until 7 am.  I knew she was in good hands, and that she was being spoiled, but I still missed my puppy.

I made it back home the following Monday afternoon and finally got to see Maya again!!  She was super excited to see me too.  I sat and visited for a few minutes before we went home, and Maya was not enjoying that at all.  She kept nudging my arm, and then walking to the door.  She had had fun, but she was ready to go home.  During our little chat, her "auntie" told me that Maya didn't want to eat Friday after I left, not even treats.  When she hadn't eaten anything by Friday night, she stuck her food in the microwave for a few seconds, and Maya gobbled it up!  Apparently, she learned that little trick with her last dog.

For the first 5 hours or so we were home, Maya wouldn't let me out of her sight.  She thought I might have installed a secret exit in the bathroom and laundry room, so obviously I couldn't go into either room alone, just in case I happened to sneak out, and forget about going outside without her.  That night, she feel asleep curled up next to me on the couch.....with her little paw on my leg.  After the longest 4 days ever, things were finally back to normal in my little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment